Central Institute of Horticulture
Central Institute of Horticulture was inaugurated in the year 2006 by our hon’ble Union Agriculture Minister , Govt. of India Shri Sharad Pawar. With its headquarter in Medziphema ,Nagaland, the institute was set up in an area of 43.5 ha with an ambitious objective of holistic development of Horticulture sector in the North East Region. This Institute which is one of its kind under the ministry of Agriculture , Govt. of India is a young institute with a big mandate and a great vision .
It started off as an institute with an OSD Mr L.S .Reddy, Deputy Comm., Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India taking care of the affairs of the Institute. 5 (five) technical consultants were appointed on contractual basis to carry out the various progam of the institute and Dr S.P. Ghosh was appointed as a chief consultant of the institute. The institute could take off and started its activities under the supervision of Horticulture Commissioner, Dr M.L. Chaudhury. The office of the Institute was initially housed in one of the residential quarter of SASRD , NU a little far away from the institute complex but now it is in a small 4 room farm house within the CIH complex . After nearly 2 1/2years of its existence , finally Dr Akali Sema was selected as the Director on 30st july 2008 . The institute has 17 sanctioned posts to be filled up on deputation, however , till date , only one post is filled up
- Farmers Training Cum Exposure Visit on Production Technology and Processing of Aloe Vera
- Hands on Demonstration on Oyster Mushroom Cultivation & Value Addition of Horticulture Crops
- Value Addition of Important Horticulture Crops
- Farmers Training Programme For Farmers of Tripura
- Improved Production Technologies of Vegetables
- Banana and Pineapple Fibre Extraction
- Hands on Demonstration on Oyster Mushroom Cultivation & Value Addition of Horti. Crops
- Improved Production Technologies of Banana & Citrus
- Value Addition of Important Horticulture. Crops
- Improved Production Technologies of Vegetables & Spices & Value Addition of Important Horti. Crops
- Capacity building by training of trainers & farmers/beneficiaries
- Demonstration of improved technologies
- Accreditation and certification of nurseries in NER
- Follow-on extension support in the field of horticulture
- Promotion of organic cultivation of horticultural crops
- Establishing convergence and synergy among programmes in the field of horticulture
- Monitoring of Centrally sponsored programmes in the area of horticulture
A legacy is an era reckoned in an Institute’s life. Although Central Institute of Horticulture, Medziphema, Nagaland began its journey from November, 2006 the process of its origin had already began in March 27th, 2006 when it was inaugurated at the hand of the then Hon’ble Minister Shri.Sharad Pawar, Union Agriculture Minister of India. Considering the huge potential of horticulture development in the region it was started with Shri.L.S.Reddy as an officer incharge. The original spade work accomplished during his tenure has provided a sound ground for faster development of this Institute that cannot be over emphasised.
Central Institute of horticulture was established in the year 2006 for the holistic development of horticulture sector in the North East Region. Located at Medziphema, Nagaland about 30 km from Dimapur city and 44 km from the capital city Kohima the Institute spreads over an area of 43.50 hectare. The main thrust areas of the Institute are refinement and demonstration of identified technologies pertaining to the region; production and supply of quality seed and planting material; training and capacity building of state govt. officials, field functionaries and farmers on different aspects of horticulture development including organic farming, monitoring of centrally sponsored programmes in the area of horticulture, post harvest management, processing, value addition, marketing and agribusiness promotion.