FAZL ALI COLLEGE
Fazl Ali College established on 8th September 1959, has emerged as one of the leading educational institutions of the State.
It is a co-educational Government College affiliated to Nagaland University. It takes pride in being the oldest College in Nagaland. Located amidst beautiful natural surroundings the College is about 5 kilometres from Mokokchung town.
The College functioned as a private College until 1962 after which it was taken over by the Government of Nagaland. Science stream was introduced in the College in 1983. Today the College offers the BA/BSc GEN/HONS courses in 15 subjects. Functional English course, which is a vocational subject at the B.A. level, conducts short-term courses for interested institutions.
The objective of the College is to promote higher learning and to produce students who are second to none in academic quality in line with the College motto “Academia Nulli Secundus” and are conscious citizens who can bring about social change and development. It signifies the College’s constant endeavour to mould the young minds and give the guidance towards the unfoldment of the intellectual faculty latent in them.
- Political Sc.
- Functional Eng.
- Computer Sc
The College has a well-equipped Library of about 20,000 volumes of books, journals and reference materials with reading room facility. The Library remains open from 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Students can borrow books from library for a limited period of time. They are ecouraged to make optimum use of this facility and strictly adhere to the library rules and regulations
Ever since it was founded in 1948, NCC has made a tremendous stride in inculcating the ideals of discipline and national integration to the youth with its motto “Unity and discipline”. Through various camps, adventures, and cultural exchange programmes it has provided the youth from all over the country to march shoulder to shoulder in the service of the country. It has also provided a channel for a special entry in the Indian Army, Navy and Air force by conducting certificate exams.
In Fazl Ali College, the NCC has been functioning with its full vigor since its inception. It has both boys and girls cadets, looked after by their respective lecturer incharge. The college has a full strength cadet of 55 for boys and 50 for girls cadet. The college has a tradition of producing not only an excellent cadets representing the state on many occasions but also facilitated in acquiring ‘B’ and ‘C’ Certificates to majority of its cadets.
Almost every year cadets from the college are selected to represent in the Republic Day Parade at New Delhi. They have also represented the state in the National Integration Camps from time to time. The college also sends cadets for Combine Annual Training Camp, Thal Sainik Camp etc. in various parts of the country. They also participate in every Independence Day Parade in the district.
National Service Scheme (NSS) was launced on 24th September 1969- Gandhiji’s birth Centenary year in 37 Universities with an aim to develop students’ personality through community service. Today the NSS covers 198 universities, 9117 Colleges, 7542 Higher Secondary Schools and 1196 Technical Institutions.
The activities of NSS aims at:
- Making education more relevant by bringing students face to face with the rural/slum situation.
- Involving students in planning and execution of developmental projects and programmes.
- Encouraging students to work together with rural people.
- Developing leadership qualities
- Emphasizing dignity of labour and self-help.
- Encouraging process of national development.
- Understand the community in which you work.
- Understand yourself in relation to the community in which you work.
- Identify the needs and problems of that community and get involved in problem solving process.
- Develop a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilise the knowledge thus gained to find practical solution to individual and community problems.
- Develop competence for group living and share responsibilities.
- Develop community mobilising skills.
- Develop leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
- Develop skills to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- practice national integration and social harmony.
1.Chubainla Award for Academic Topper (CAAT): The Chubainla Award for Academic Topper instituted in 2008 and sponsored by the family of former Principal of the college Mrs. Chubainla Jamir is given every year to the student topping the BA/BSc. III University Examination. It carries a Certificate and a Cash Prize of Rs. 10,000(Rupees Ten thousand only)
2. Akok Walling Award(earlier Debator of the Year Award): This Award was instituted in 2007, sponsored by Mr. Akok Walling (former Associate Professor and HoD, Functional English Department) and his family, is awarded annually to the individual winner of the Debate Competition. It carries a Certificate and a Cash Prize of Rs. 1000/- (Rupees one thousand only)
3. Linnaeus Award:The Department of Botany instituted the Linnaeus Award in 2010. This annual award has been named after Carl Von Linne, the ‘Princeps Botanicorum’ (Prince of Botanists) and is given to the student who graduates with the highest first division marks in Botany from the college. It carries a certificate and a cash prize of Rs. 2000/- (Two thousand only).
The College provides financial assistance to the differently abled and needy students to help pursue their studies in the College. Students can avail this scheme by writing to the Convenor of the Student’s Welfare Committee.
The Career Guidance Cell is a dynamic Cell. The purpose of this Cell is to give guidance to students on their queries on different career choices. Counselling is also provided, besides helping out in the process of self-discovery. The Cell has been actively organising and coordinating seminars on Career Guidance by inviting resource persons apt to the demands and interacting with the students.
The College provides transportation service from town to the College. The College has three Buses
Students can enjoy refreshments at reasonable rates in the Canteens located in the College Campus. Consumption of alchohol or other intoxicating substances in any form, in the Canteens is strictly prohibited.
There is a Primary Health Centre within the campus attended by one full- time nurse and two full-time attendants.
The Union Church was established in 1980. It is an interdenominational Church and is located in the College campus. The Church is ministered by the Church Chaplin and conducts Sunday devotional and other weekly church services. It caters to the spiritual needs of the college teaching and non teaching faculty, hostellers and nearby residents as well
A Branch Post Office is located in teh College building which provides services such as collection of Phone bills, booking and delivery of Registered letters, Speed Post, Money Orders (upto a limit of 5000) etc., apart from collection and delivery of ordinary mail. It is authorized to sell Postal and Revenue stamps. It also authorized to open various kinds of Savings and Insurance accounts.
Based on the need and merits of teh individual cases, the college provides for students with special needs such as by way of: Relaxation of attendance, providing separate/special rooms for writing exams, or other such arrangements as may be required depending upon the need and feasibility
A computer lab with adequate computers is available for use of Computer Science students. Another computer room is set up for use for both faculty and students.
A computer harware repair workshop has also been set up to undertake hardware repairs. The college reserves the right to limit, restrict, remove or extend computing privileges and access to its resources. The primary