Central Institute of Psychiatry,
Kanke, Ranchi, 834006,
Central Institute of Psychiatry (CIP), Ranchi is a premier institute for mental health in India. It started in 1918 and since then it has been a pioneer in the field of psychiatry. Till independence this hospital was meant exclusively for the treatment of European patients. With a bed capacity of 643, it is spread over an area of 210 acres.CIP has never been a custodial care facility. It has always been an open hospital with a comprehensive biopsychosocial approach for management of mentally ill patients. Currently the institute functions under the administrative control of Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi, with the objectives of patient care, manpower development and research in the field of mental health. It was called as European Lunatic Asylum till 1922 when it was named as European Mental Hospital and was put under the control of a Board of Trustees with various participating state governments represented in the Board.This year was also notable for the fact that the hospital got affiliation from the University of London for the Diploma in Psychological Medicine examination. It was a unique phenomenon since the postgraduate training in Psychiatry was nonexistent in India in those days.After independence the name of EuropeanMental Hospital was changed to Inter-ProvincialMental Hospital in 1948 and the hospital was opened for all Indians. It was subsequently renamed as Hospital for Mental Diseases in 1952 and in 1954 its administration was taken over by the Government of India. On April 1, 1977 it was raised to the status of an Institute and was renamed as Central Institute of Psychiatry. Keeping pace with the development in mental health, the institute continued to scale new heights and various modern facilities for investigation and management of mental disorders was added.
Entrance Examination for Admission to PG Courses 2017
Diploma in Psychological Medicine
Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
M.Phil in Medical & Social Psychology
M.Phil in Psychiatric Social Work
Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing
Ibn Sina Central library:
In accordance with the objectives of the of the institute to become a’Centre of Excellence’ Medical Library is to provide the information services and access to bibliographic and full text digital and printed resources in the field of mental health meeting the scholarly and informational needs of the institute. The library provides physical and intellectual access to information, consistent with the current and upcoming educational and research programmes of the institute.
A major development in the Institute has been the construction of the modern three storied Ibn Sina Central Library. The total floor area of this newly constructed library is 2525 square meters. It provides a wide range of current, accurate and authoritative information from a vast selection of print and electronic resources using state-of–the art technology. The library collection focuses primarily on psychiatry, psychology, neurosciences, psychiatric social work and psychiatric nursing. Apart from subjects related to mental health, there are ample resources in internal medicine, surgery and many other medical disciplines. The collection of the library includes books, Journals, weekly magazines, newspapers, VHS, VCDs, reports, dissertations, theses, WHO publications, microfilms, atlas and electronic databases regarded asone of the richest collection of its kind in the country. It has some rare collection of reference materials dating back from pre independent (1910) and onwards. It has collection of nearly 55,000 books, bound volumes of journals and WHO publication. Nearly 2000 books from different world wide publishers have added every year to make the library collection richer. The library currently subscribes 318 printed journals and has access of almost more than 2000 journals by using different platforms such as ScienceDirect, Wiley’s Online Library, Ovid SP, Cambridge Online, Springer Link etc. Library is also a member of the ERMED – India consortia which is run by National Medical Library; New Delhi. ERMED provides full text access of almost 1800 journal on its platform.
The computer department at the institute is one of the most sophisticated and modern department in this part of the country. It is equipped with a hardware, software and networking unit.
Maintenance of network: CIP has an exhaustive Fiber Optic Network with Wi-Fi access across the institute’s premises which connects the entire institution and enables internet activities and information to make available for all departments including hostels.
Internet Management:Two high speed leased lines (l0 Mbps from BSNL and 10 Mbps from Rail Tel and a 2Mbps Broadband) are available at CIP.
SUN Microsystems Cluster (Server): The server installed in the institution for Database Server requires complete management like creation of users, providing rights to them; periodic backups of data being accumulated on daily basis and providing inter connection at approved locations. It is also used for huge mathematical calculation within a few minutes. New additions include Altos server management and Procom server management which facilitates multiple CD search simultaneously. Recently the medical library at CIP has been equipped with 46 TB SAN storage server which can accumulate and process a significant volume of electronic data.
The hospital is spread over 210 acres of lush green campus. There are 16 wards – nine for male patients, six for female patients and a Family Unit. They have a total bed capacity of 643. Each ward is of pavilion type and has well laid out roads and lawns around it. The wards were built during the British Raj, and are named after eminent European psychiatrists and physicians. The wards are at some distance from each other, and the male and female sections are separated by a high wall. Unlike other mental hospitals, CIP, Ranchi has never been a custodial care facility. It has always been an open hospital and the patients are never confined to rooms. They are free to roam within the boundary wall of the hospital.
There are many firsts to its credit. The first Occupational Therapy Department in 1922, ECT in 1943, psychosurgery and neurosurgery in 1947, clinical psychology and Electroencephalography (EEG) departments in 1948, a full-fledged neuropathology section in 1952, the first use of Lithium in 1952 and chlorpromazine in 1953. A very modern radiology department with facility for sophisticated cerebral angiography, pneumoencephalography, air ventriculography, myelography etc. was established in 1954. Few other landmarks are starting a child guidance clinic in 1950, rural mental health clinic at Mander in 1967, rehabilitation centre and sheltered workshop in 1967, and industrial psychiatry unit at HEC, Ranchi in 1973. It may also be noted that the Indian Psychiatric Society was established in 1948 because of the efforts of this Institute and it was registered in Patna. The first draft of the Bill that subsequently became the Mental Health Act of India (1987) was written at C.I.P, Ranchi in 1949 by Dr. R.B. Davis, the then Medical Superintendent, Dr. S.A. Hasib, from Indian Mental Hospital, Ranchi and Dr. J. Roy, from Mental Hospital, Gwalior. The latter two too had worked at C.I.P., Ranchi at one time or other.The journey has been long and distinguished and its contribution to Indian Psychiatry has set a tradition of excellence in the field of mental health. Berkeley-Hill wrote in his parting note.